Was the PWG Bake-Off a Success or Failure?

Farrell, Lee Lee_Farrell at cissc.canon.com
Mon Aug 5 21:19:34 EDT 1996

Whether or not the Bake-off was deemed a success or failure is much less
interesting (at least to me) than whether or not the several vendor
implementations are truly interoperable.  That's the big question that
I'd like to get a consistent (or at least authoritative) answer on.  At
one point, the bake-off rehearsal was intended to be a preparation for
demoing at Interop.  Based on the results of the last meeting, can
anyone say that the PWG is now able to demonstrate successful
*interoperability*?  (Whether it's done at Interop or some other venue.)
 Isn't that the priority focus?

Unfortunately, I missed getting a copy of the summary sheet that Genoa
apparently passed out at the last meeting.  But I did hear the
representative say that he would be issuing a report on the detailed
findings of his test.  Like Jay, I am very anxious to receive this
report.  I'm also curious if such a report would agree with some of
Jay's observations or not.  What do the other vendors think?  Although
Jay might not have been present to hear them, the few statements that I
heard from Genoa gave me the impression that there was a big variance on
the interpretation and method of reporting three specific HR MIB
objects.  Perhaps these items are not very critical, but IMHO, this
doesn't yet sound like a successful interoperability event worthy of
demonstrating to the world.

Lee Farrell
CIS