RED LIGHT DISTRICT - Sure it is !

geoffster geoff at paypc.com
Fri Aug 9 20:56:28 EDT 1996

Dear Paul Reilly

Thanks for ascribing deity status to MS on my behalf.  I don't seem to
recall placing them on such a pillar.  On the other hand, it was
interesting to see that you were unable to refute my comments re Apple
missing the boat.

Done a count of HP to Apple printer ratios (at Kinko's) recently have you ?

Ever stick your head into places like India/Asia where the demand for this
stuff (public access) is skyrocketing ? No ?  Well suprise me. Living on
this side of the world makes me realize more and more how USA centric US
companies actually are (and increasingly irrelevant to the new economic
powerhouses).

What's that ? You rely on Apple's marketing department for info ?

ROFTL. We know all about their unparalleld ability to snatch defeat defeat
from the jaws of victory.

I speak what is on my mind, not bullshit or trying to suck up to people. I
aim to be a good programmer not necessarily a popular one. I gather however
that this often meets with inverse rewards at large companies, hence the
relevance of Apple to the world and indeed the wider lack of innovation and
differentiation we see in the printer industry. Pepsi vs. Coke.

It is a shame you have to resort to outright personal insults rather than
address the actual issues.  You correctly identify the need for exchanging
ideas and technical standards. I agree to an extent.

It might help of course to keep your eye on the *map* in the process to see
*where* all these technical exchanges are actually leading everybody and if
relevant/useful to end users.

Geoff Slater.

"Argument is an intellectual process, contradiction is the automatic
 gainsaying of anything the other person says"

"No it isn't"