Draft of the new prtAlertTableChanges MIB object -Reply

JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Fri Aug 9 21:22:00 EDT 1996

Scott,

> Is there any other mechanism for a network printer to tell the world that
> something has happened if it doesn't do it through the alert table? (that is
> informational events)  If so, is it able to only announce the "event" if at
> least there is one interested party?
>
> At Novell, we think that the answer to both of those questions is YES.

No, to my knowledge, there is no way for a printer (using the Printer
MIB, anyway) to inform interested management apps (ie, those polling
the printer) that an information event has occured.  Hence the use of
the Alert Table to log such events.

> Should the PWG roll this back into the MIB somehow?

Not quite sure what you're asking, Scott.  Do you mean a new feature?
Or perhaps additional clarifications?

> Does "printer
> management" include only critical and warning rather than
> anything/everything?

Is this a philosophical question?  (Or perhaps sarcasm? ;-)

I agree with you that those "informational" messages are important,
at least for the kinds of mgmt apps that Underscore is creating.

	...jay