Internet and Fax Interoperabilty: Big Picture

Thomas P. Koltai tomk at koltai.com
Thu Sep 5 16:03:30 EDT 1996

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996 17:02:46 -0700  Babak Jahromi wrote:

>As far as faxing electronic documents is concenred, doesn't printing
>over Internet provide a much better solution for the customers? All they
>have to do is to upgrade their existing print servers with proper
>software, then connect them to Interent via that flat-fee T1 link or
>whatever, and start receiving high-quality docs. No need for dedicated
>fax machines, or expensive long-distance phone calls; just a right
>software solution. Their fax number becomes their print server URL.

"Their fax number becomes their print server URL."

I wonder if you could share the methodology of this with the group.

And in respect of the dedicated facsimile machines; I think the problem is twofold:
1. The machines already exist. Interfacing the existing machines to IP is economically
desirable.
2. Many non-IT folk like to hold bits of paper in their hands and feed it through themselves.
Allowing a computer to achieve the same result will only appeal to a small portion of the
community.

Tom
Thomas P. Koltai
Phone: +61-2-261-4884