Internet and Fax Interoperabilty: Big Picture

Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Thu Sep 5 00:11:48 EDT 1996

Ray Lutz wrote:

> I find that there is a significant installed based (about 50%) that still
> are not web-heads or email-heads, and continue to thrive on "low resolution"
> fax. I think we can all admit that the paradigm of scanning here and
> printing there is so fundamental that it will not go away.

While there will be a significant period of time that we will continue
to use fax machines; I guarantee that fax machines as we know
them WILL go away in the future.

> I certainly support the sort of printing on the internet that you are
> mentioning, AND, I recognize the need for internet-fax interworking. This is
> not an either-or situation. We can have both.

I think that the market will evolve to the point where only simple and
short messages will be sent via fax by legacy machines using POTS.
Complex and longer documents will be printed remotely via the internet.
Again, I don't believe there is a long term, viable need to bolt today's
fax machines to the internet.  Keeping them on POTS and defining
and standarizing a robust remote printing solution through the internet
is the work that needs to be done to move the whole industry forward.

Don