Printer MIB Testing and PWG Meeting Alternatives

Lloyd Young lpyoung at lexmark.com
Fri Nov 22 09:44:17 EST 1996

Some people have expressed a desire to combine the Printer MIB interoperability
testing and a PWG meeting in order to reduce travel. We briefly looked at
moving
the interoperability testing to line up with either the January or February PWG
meetings (without changing PWG locations) and that does not appear feasible.
Therefore the only way to accomplish this is to have the PWG meeting in
Campbell, CA. (where Stardust Labs is located). We have located a hotel in
Campbell that has meeting rooms available the first week of February. We do
not want to delay the interoperability testing past the first week of February.
Following are the alternatives that we came up with to accomplish all of this:

Assumptions: The interoperability testing will require 1/2 day of setup followed
by 3 days of testing. PWG meetings require minimum of 2 days.

1. Have the interoperability testing the week of January 27th and PWG meetings
the week of February 3rd (both in Campbell, CA.).
2. Have both the interoperability test and PWG meetings the week of February
2nd.
Test setup would be on Sunday February 2nd, interoperability testing Monday
through
Wednesday, and PWG meetings Thursday and Friday.
3. Do nothing. Have the interoperability testing the week of January 27th and
leave the PWG meetings the week of February 19th.

Clearly, options 1 and 2 would mean that the PWG meetings would be canceled the
week of February 19th (IEEE 1394 meeting would still occur on these dates). If
they are not canceled then the goal of reducing travel was not achieved.

I am going to put this to a vote by the PWG. Majority rules. Because next week
is a holiday week, voting will close on Tuesday, Dec. 3th. I will inform the
group on Wednesday, Dec. 4th on the final outcome.

Lloyd Young                       Phone: (606) 232-5150
Lexmark International Inc.        Fax: (606) 232-6740
740 New Circle Road NW            internet: lpyoung at lexmark.com
Lexington, KY 40511