JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Wed Nov 27 12:13:00 EST 1996

Tom,

Your comments are quite interesting...at least to me, anyway.  ;-)
You mentioned:

> One of the few perks of working on IETF standards is being listed as
> an author.  While this may seem as self serving, since I'm listed as
> an author of the Printer MIB, I feel that giving credit to work
> contributed is important in a professional activity.  Authorship
> gives recognition to significant contributions and encourages participants
> to come forward and donate significant time to preparing specifications.

I couldn't agree more, Tom.

> However, the writing
> contributions of Ron Smith, Steve Zilles, and Joel Gyllenskog remain in
> the draft standard, as Randy's and Binnur's writing contributions are added.
>
> Commments?

You know, I have wondered for quite some time now whether I should make
it a point to say that an entire section of the Printer MIB was authored
by myself (ie, the "Role Models" section detailing the approaches for
analyzing requirements, etc.), not to mention the work on the Channels
Group (for which I was a "founding" author).

It would be nice if my name was included on the authors list for this
work, as well as the ongoing work since October 1993 when we started.
I've been laying low about this topic so far...but now that you've brought
it up...

To be perfectly honest, it's not the "personal glory" I am seeking, but
rather some public visibility of my small entrepreneurial company and its
contributions to the development of printer standards.

	...jay

--  JK Martin               |  Email:   jkm at underscore.com          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03015-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --