Carl-Uno Manros manros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Jul 2 15:37:40 EDT 1998

At 11:43 AM 7/2/98 PDT, Keith Moore wrote:

>HTTP is an application by itself.  TCP/IP is not.
>IPP is trying to layer one application on top of another.

In a sense you are right, but in effect IPP is sending MIME
packages over HTTP. This has been our stragegy for more than a year.
Is MIME over SMTP considered a separate application that needs
it's own scheme? It wasn't last time I checked.

BTW, who determines whether an application can or cannot be layered
on top of another? If is you who decides, we would have liked to hear
this kind of strong objection much earlier in the project.

If we are going to have these kind of discussions, it seems to me
that the IAB should get involved, as they are rather fundamental
Internet design decisions. Re-using existing infra-structure or not
seems to be one important discussion point.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com