PWG> Fwd: Future IEEE1284

Roach, David L. david.roach at unisys.com
Tue Aug 8 17:25:50 EDT 2000

It would more accurate to say that Microsoft will no longer >require< one or
more LPT ports to be pre-installed in a "Windows Compatible" system.  This
change is part of their proposal for what Microsoft calls a "Legacy Free"
PC.  However, on their web site, Microsoft says (in several places) that
they will continue to support LPT and serial ports.

For general information about the new I/O philosophy, see "Legacy I/O
Removal to Advance the PC Architecture" (at
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/NewPC/legacyIO.htm).  Also see "Legacy-Free
Hardware and BIOS Requirements [Draft 0.9]" (at
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/newpc/LF.htm) for overall details of these
kinds of systems.  Finally, there is a long list of specs and white papers
on the "Microsoft Driver and Hardware Development" page (at
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/siteinfo.htm).  Scroll way down the list of
links to Section 8 (Fast Boot, Hibernate, and Legacy-Free Design) under the
header "Platform Design."

I hope this helps,
Dave Roach