PWG> IPP Production Printing Attributes

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Mon Feb 19 17:23:39 EST 2001

As the vote for IPP Production Attributes nears, I would like to reiterate
several concerns I have had throughout the life of this draft.

1. As a PWG draft, this topic does not seem to have received the same
level of attention and discussion (ex. in f2f meetings or on the wire) as
have the IETF related efforts (Notifications, Security, Bakeoff's etc.).
While the document has received a couple short reviews, it is my opinion
that these have been overshadowed by broader issues at the f2f meetings.

2. The document introduces numerous concepts such as page ordering, image
shifting and finishing features, some of which are fairly exotic. Granted,
the scope of this proposal is "Production" but I wonder if this narrow
scope may have resulted in less than broad participation in actually
reviewing and digesting this document.

3. There are other industry consortia addressing similar areas. The CIP4 -
JDF is one example. There has been no formal PWG effort to assure harmony
or compatibility between JDF and IPP Production Attributes.