Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Mar 13 17:42:08 EST 2003

An other alternative is to keep the same number, but have some letter
prefixes, such as CS to mean candidate standard.

Thus the official PWG number for a Candidate Standard versus Standard for
Skywritting would be:

Ex CS-5300.1 = Skywriting Print Standard (Candidate Standard)
   STD-5350.1 = Skywriting Print Standard (STANDARD)

For example, I seem to recall that ANSI standards say BSR nnnn for a draft
standard (which stands for Board of Standard Review, as I recall) while the
standard is being voted on.

Tom