PWG> Process

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Thu Jun 5 11:30:12 EDT 2003

Hi Don,

I see your point.  And agree with it.  Standards shouldn't
have higher status than their normative dependencies.

But I think that IPP is maybe a "special case".  The PWG has
(by an apparent strong concensus) simply abandoned submitting
printing industry standards to the IETF.  Most of all, this
is because a string of IETF Applications Area Directors have
had no interest in IPP, Printer MIB, etc.

The Printer MIB v2 has finally been adopted because it was
(lucky enough to be) a MIB - so Bert Wijnen and the very
competent IETF Ops and Mgmt Area "MIB experts" took over
and helped us move it forward.

Unfortunately, IPP remains stuck in IETF Applications Area.

Of course, we could try to recharter the IETF IPP WG with
the stated purpose of advancing to Draft Standard (there
is precedent for such a recharter).  But I don't think
that the IETF is at all likely to grant the new charter.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc

PS - It really pains me to be arguing on the "wrong" side
of this issue.  But I believe that IPP is an important
unifying standard in the printing industry.