Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 13 16:47:49 EST 2003

Don, we're struggling in the PWG process discussion about ISTO numbers and
when and how they should be assigned in the process. First, we said no
ISTO number until STANDARD. Some feel Candidate Standards should have
numbers and we're considering a hack on the numbering to indicate CS from
STANDARD.

Ex 5300.1 = Skywriting Print Standard (Candidate Standard)
   5350.1 = Skywriting Print Standard (STANDARD)

You (and others) must have experience with IEEE standards progression
(1284.x). Can you shed some light on the IEEE/ISTO numbering, what level
of maturity they expect when a number is assigned, how we might go about
assigning numbers to CS as well as S?
Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems