PWG> Process

Carl carl at manros.com
Thu Jun 5 15:25:09 EDT 2003

Ira and others,

I don't agree that the IETF would object to let the IPP WG continue to
elevate IPP to the next level.

At one stage, probably some 18 months or so ago, Ned Freed asked me if we
planned to continue the IPP work to Draft Standard status. At that stage, we
were still waiting for various IPP extension documents to get through, so I
told him it was too early to decide.

The overall expectation in the IETF is that Proposed Standards will continue
to become Draft Standards and eventually Standards if they can prove:
1) their persistance as actually working
2) being implemented in a number of independently developed products, and
3) interworking properly according to the specs.

The two major stumbling blocks that we have had, and problaby will continue
to have, are the IETF requirements for security, suitable for on application
in the worldwide Internet rather than just intranets, and the terribly slow
review and acceptance process in the IESG, where IPP has been given a low
priority.

If we wanted to make any significant extensions to the IPP basic
arhitecture, we would have to start over at the Proposed Standard stage one
more time, which would slow down the progress to Draft Standard even
further, unless we limit the changes to just weed out functions that are not
commonly implemented.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
700 Carnegie Street #3724