William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon May 23 23:24:43 EDT 2005

It was the original intention to generate a requirements document in WIMS
that would have covered the various specifications generated by the group.
It is generally more proper to agree on the requirements before the
specification is generated, although one gets better matching if the
requirements are generated after the specification is done. Indeed, with the
changing focus of WIMS and the changing constituency of the working group,
many of the original functional requirements have been dropped.

I also, perhaps, had the wrong idea of the purpose of the requirements
document, thinking that the requirements are to be primarily a statement of
why the standard is necessary, with some details of intended use. Taking the
Counter MIB requirements as a model, it appears that what is intended are
the requirements of the standard rather than the requirements for the
standard.

In either case, I agree that some sort of requirements document should be
issued and approved prior to submitting the Counter Spec for vote. I think
that a clear statement of why the standard is necessary and how it is to be
used would help significantly in getting PWG members to cast a vote as to
whether the  proposed standard properly addresses that need.

Many of the last call comments came from working group members rather than
outside PWG members, and indeed some of the recent changes reflect a
constantly changing notion of what a particular figure or counter is
intended for. Perhaps better documented requirements would decrease the need
for this constant revision. Perhaps comments on the requirements would
provide either better understanding of the need for the number of counters,
or else would allow that number to be reduced.

I suggest that WIMS proceed with a requirements document covering the
abstract counters (which were generated as a simple alternative to a full
multi-function management structure), the manifestation of these abstract
counters in MIBS and XML schema, and the WIMS protocol itself.

Bill Wagner, Chairman WIMS WG