Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Oct 30 12:55:17 EST 2002

I've posted the updated IPP Document Object spec with the resolutions of all
the issues at the Semantic Model telecon, Thursday, October 24, 2002.  I
discovered 6 issues in doing the editing which are summarized below and
highlighted in the document.  As I understand it, further review will be
during the Semantic Model face-to-face meeting in New Orleans on November 8.
The PSI group may want to review it too, since they are including the
document object semantics in their work.

Please send comments on this IPP document to just the Semantic Model DL:
sm at pwg.org, instead of cross posting to other lists (even though this is an
IPP specification and is stored in the IPP sub-tree on the PWG FTP site and
should be added to the IPP web page using the new fixed URL).

The latest version (0.5) using the new fixed URL (so the IPP web page can
always point to the latest):
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/pwg-ipp-document-object-latest.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/pwg-ipp-document-object-latest.doc

The latest version (0.5) with the version number and date in the file name:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/pwg-ipp-document-object-v05-021025.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/pwg-ipp-document-object-v05-021025.doc

The latest version with change tracking from version 0.4:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/pwg-ipp-document-object-v05-021025-rev
.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/pwg-ipp-document-object-v05-021025-rev
.doc

I've also removed the 5100.n number from the document, so that we will
assign the number when the Document passes PWG last Call which is when the
Proposed Standard moves to a Draft Standard status.

Here are the changes:

Version 0.5, 25 October 2002, as a result of the PWG Semantic Model telecon,
October 24, 2002:
	1.	Fixed the title to say "Proposed Standard" and removed the
5100.n number until the document is approved by the PWG Last Call to
progress as a Draft Standard.
	2.	Changed Cancel-Document from OPTIONAL to REQUIRED.
	3.	Added Table 3 and Table 4 to show the request and response
signatures of the Document Creation and Validation operations.
	4.	Renamed the "document-number" operation attribute to
"input-document-number", to agree with [override] and because the Document
object is really the Input Document (as opposed to the Output Document).
The Printer copies this value to the Document's "document-number" Document
Description attribute.
	5.	Clarified that the Printer MUST reject a Create-Document
request if the "document-number" already exists.
	6.	Clarified that the client cannot supply Subscription
attributes in any Document Creation requests.
	7.	Added "document-message" (text(127)) operation attribute to
the Document Creation requests to go with the "document-message" agreement
(see point #13 ).
	8.	Fixed Create-Document response to return Job status
attributes in Group 3 and Document status attributes in Group 4.
	9.	Required the Printer to return just the "document-number"
and "document-id-uri" (uri) Document Description attribute in a Document
Creation response.
	10.	Added the "document-mandatory-attributes" operation
attribute.
	11.	Separated the returned Job status attributes and the
Document status attributes into two groups, one Job Attributes and the other
Document attributes.
	12.	Allowed the client to supply or omit the "document-uri"
operation attribute in a Validate-Job request.
	13.	Clarified that the "document-number" operation attribute
MUST follow the Printer and Job Target in Group 1.
	14.	Changed the Get-Documents response when there is no
"requested-attributes" to simply "document-number" and "document-id-uri" to
be parallel with the Get-Jobs operation.
	15.	Changed the "message" operation attribute in Cancel-Document
and Cancel-Current-Document to "document-message" operation attribute which
the Printer copies to the "document-message" Document Description attribute
for use both by the user and the operator.
	16.	Clarified that the "document-state-reasons" values never
affect Job scheduling.
	17.	Made Job Level - page override programming higher precedence
than Document level Document object attributes.
	18.	Clarified PDL document data precedence and its relationship
to Job Template attributes ending with "-requested".
	19.	In Table 6, flagged the operation attributes that the
Printer copies to the corresponding Job and Document Description attributes
in Document Creations operations.
	20.	Fixed "job-mandatory-attributes" operation attribute so its
only supplied at Job level, now that we have "document-mandatory-attributes"
operation attribute.
	21.	Clarified that "ipp-attribute-fidelity" can be supplied at
both the Job and Document Levels and how it interacts with
"job-mandatory-attributes" and "document-mandatory-attributes" operation
attributes.
	22.	Disallowed "output-bin" at the Document Level (and Page
Level).  It subsets the single stream of Input-Pages across Input-Documents.
	23.	Disallowed "page-ranges" at the Page Level.
	24.	Disallowed "pages-per-subset" at the Document level (and
Page Level).
	25.	Disallowed "separator-sheets" at the Page Level.
	26.	Added "document-printer-up-time" Document Description
attribute for Get-Documents and Get-Document-Attributes responses that the
Printer MUST support, just like "job-printer-up-time" operation attribute
for Get-Jobs and Get-Job-Attributes.

ISSUE 01:  OK for the Send-Data operation to return Document status
attributes (as well as Job status attributes) so at to be like the other
Document operations?

ISSUE 02:  Should the "document-message" Document Description attribute have
a maximum of 127 octets, like the "job-message-from-operator" (text(127))
Job Description attribute in [RFC2911] section 4.3.16 or MAX (1023 octets)
like "job-message-to-operator" (text(MAX)) Job Template attribute in
IEEE-ISTO 5100.3 [prod-print] section 3.10?

ISSUE 03:  The following 4 Job Creation operation attributes have
corresponding Job Description attributes, but there isn't a definition or an
IANA Registration for any of these Job Description attributes:
"ipp-attribute-fidelity", "job-mandatory-attributes", "job-password", and
"job-password-encryption".  OK to add Job Description attribute descriptions
for each of them?  That would correspond to the PWG Semantic Model where
they are Job Description attributes.

ISSUE 04 repeat:  The following 4 Job Creation operation attributes have
corresponding Job Description attributes, since they are really Document
attributes: "compression", "document-format", "document-name",
"document-natural-language"?  OK to add Document Description attribute
descriptions for each of them?    That would correspond to the PWG Semantic
Model where they are Document Description attributes.

ISSUE 05:  The Printer copies the following 11 Document Creation operation
attributes to corresponding Document Description attributes, but there isn't
a definition or an IANA Registration for any of these Document Description
attributes:  "attributes-charset", "attributes-natural-language",
"compression", "document-format", "document-name",
"document-natural-language", "impressions", "k-octets", "media-sheets",
"job-printer-uri", and "last-document".  OK to add operation attribute and
Document Description attribute descriptions for each of them?

ISSUE 06:  The definitions of the following 16 remaining Document
Description attributes are derived from the corresponding Job Description
attributes that are not set by the client:  "current-page-order",
"date-time-at-completed", "date-time-at-creation",
"date-time-at-processing", "detailed-status-message",
"document-access-errors",  "impressions-completed",
"impressions-completed-current-copy", "k-octets-processed",
"media-sheets-completed", "more-info", "sheet-completed-copy-number",
"time-at-completed", "time-at-creation", "time-at-processing", and
"warnings-count",  OK to add Document Description attribute descriptions for
each of them?