Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Mar 18 14:33:59 EST 2003

I agree with Peter's suggested resolutions to ISSUE 03, but need to test our
understanding of the terminology, since I think that the spec needs to say
that "job-mandatory-attributes" is a REQUIRED attribute in the Document
Object spec, not OPTIONAL, in order to agree with Peter's suggestion.

Peter wrote:

ISSUE 03:  Should we make "job-mandatory-attributes" a REQUIRED attribute
for a Printer to support (if it supports the Document object)?  Otherwise,
clients won't support it and will be stuck with the "ipp-attribute-fidelity"
attribute?
<PZ>It should be an OPTIONAL Operation Attribute that a Printer MUST support
if the Printer supports the Document Object.</PZ>

When we say anything is "REQUIRED" in the Document Object spec, we mean it
is REQUIRED if the Printer conforms to the Document Object specification,
i.e., supports the Document Object. [This semantic for the word REQUIRED is
true for any IPP extension specification].

Here is what the Document Object spec says in the Conformance Terminology
section to try to make the scope of the term "REQUIRED" clear:

2.1	Conformance Terminology

Capitalized terms, such as MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHOULD, SHOULD NOT,
MAY, NEED NOT, and OPTIONAL, have special meaning relating to conformance as
defined in RFC 2119 [rfc2119] and [rfc2911] section 12.1.  If an
implementation supports the extension defined in this document, then these
terms apply; otherwise, they do not.  These terms define conformance to this
document (and [rfc2911]) only; they do not affect conformance to other
documents, unless explicitly stated otherwise.  To be more specific:

REQUIRED - an adjective used to indicate that a conforming IPP Printer
implementation MUST support the indicated operation, object, attribute,
attribute value, status code, or out-of-band value in requests and
"support".  Since support of this entire Document Object specification is
OPTIONAL for conformance to IPP/1.1, the use of the term REQUIRED in this
document means "REQUIRED if this OPTIONAL Document Object  specification is
implemented".

RECOMMENDED - an adjective used to indicate that a conforming IPP Printer
implementation is recommended to support the indicated operation, object,
attribute, attribute value, status code, or out-of-band value in requests
and responses.  Since support of this entire Document Object specification
is OPTIONAL for conformance to IPP/1.1, the use of the term RECOMMENDED in
this document means "RECOMMENDED if this OPTIONAL Document Object
specification is implemented".

OPTIONAL - an adjective used to indicate that a conforming IPP Printer
implementation MAY, but is NOT REQUIRED to, support the indicated operation,
object, attribute, attribute value, status code, or out-of-band value in
requests and responses.

It has been suggested (and I put in the proposed PWG Template) that it is
not good to repeat the definitions of terms that appear in other
specifications, since the definition may inadvertantly be changed.  Also we
don't need to use the term "NEED NOT" which [rfc2911] introduces and
explains in section 12.1.  So I'll recast the 5 uses of NEED NOT to be MAY
in the next version.

So how about this much shorter explanation for the Document Object section
2.1 Conformance Terminology:

Capitalized terms, such as MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHOULD, SHOULD NOT,
MAY, and OPTIONAL, have special meaning relating to conformance as defined
in RFC 2119 [rfc2119].  If an implementation supports the extension defined
in this document, then these terms apply; otherwise, they do not.  These
terms define conformance to this document (and [rfc2911]) only; they do not
affect conformance to other documents, unless explicitly stated otherwise.
For example, the term REQUIRED in this document means "REQUIRED if this
OPTIONAL Document Object  specification is implemented".

Comments?
Tom