Dennis Carney dcarney at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 21 19:14:18 EDT 2003

I'm a bit confused: I had the (apparently flawed) impression that the plan
was to deprecate, for a client, using the "last-document" operation
attribute entirely--that is, say the "correct" way to say a job was done
was to do Close-Job.  If we do that, we will by definition deprecate the
special case you're discussing below, right?  Am I thinking of PSI or maybe
SM?

Since deprecation is only a suggestion, might it make sense to deprecate
"last-document" entirely?  (The Printer will still have to support it, but
we're encouraging clients to move to Close-Job.)  Do we want to make such a
stand?

Dennis

                      "Hastings, Tom N"
                      <hastings at cp10.es        To:       sm at pwg.org
                      .xerox.com>              cc:       ps at pwg.org, ipp at pwg.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  SM> 1 more significant proposed conformance change to the IPP Documen   t object spec
                      owner-sm at pwg.org

                      04/21/03 10:08 AM

In going over my notes I discovered one more significant conformance
changes
proposed change for the IPP Document object from Thursday's April 17,
telecon.  This proposal will also go through the two-week comment period.

1. DEPRECATE the way a client can close a Job by supplying an empty
Send-Document operation supplying the "last-document" = 'true' operation
attribute for a Job created with Create-Job and any of (1)
Create-Document/Send-Data, (2) Send-Document, and/or (3) Send-URI.  When
the
Printer accepts this no-data Send-Document operation with  "last-document"
=
'true' the Printer MUST set the still REQUIRED "last-document" Document
Description attribute.  Instead, the client SHOULD use the new Close-Job
operation (which also sets the "last-document" Document Description
attribute).

The Printer MUST continue to support this method of closing a job with an
empty Send-Document request for backward compatibility with existing
clients.

As with the other two mail messages on significant conformance requirements
changes, I will not edit this comment into the spec until we reach
consensus
on Friday, May 1.

Please send comments.

Tom