SM> UPDF aligned with Semantic Model

Zehler, Peter PZehler at crt.xerox.com
Tue Jan 6 14:17:04 EST 2004

All,

I have had a chance to briefly look at the latest UPDF schema.  A great deal
of work has been done to align it with the PWG Semantic Model.  I was very
pleased to see the manner in which the UPDF schema made use of the PWG
Semantic Model Schema.  (it's the way I would have done it)  Naturally there
are areas that required differences based on the specific needs of UPDF.
Even in those areas alignment is maintained where possible.

1. UPDF imports the PWGCommon and MediaElements schemas in the UPDFDataTypes
schema.  This allows UPDF's data types to be based on and extend the PWG
Schema's base types.
2. UPDF names elements and their types either identical to the Semantic
Model schemas or - if that is not possible in special cases - use the same
naming conventions.
3. UPDF refers to the Semantic Model and Media enumerations of well known
values wherever possible.
Even if UPDF does not refer to the Semantic Model and Media
enumerations/unions 1 to 1, they refer to it and extend it where necessary.
4. UPDF uses a number of data types (e.g. languages, countries, font related
lists, etc.), which they propose as an extension to the Semantic Model.

Congratulations on a job well done,
Pete

				Peter Zehler
				XEROX