[SM3] [IPP] Models

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Jan 14 21:38:58 UTC 2014

Sorry to continue on this point, but by the SM2 definitions, a Device is "An
abstract object representing a hardware component that implements one or
more Imaging Services." And an Imaging Device is "A hardware entity that
supports one or more Imaging Services, including the System." The Semantic
Model does not include "devices" (except for "output device", which is a
very low level element). Subunits are part of the System Configuration (and
also Service(s) configuration). Considering that the Device corresponds to
the System and the Services are components of the System, don't understand
the comment "Devices are directly addressable in IPP (and the Semantic
Model)" which seems to suggest that devices are components of System
(assuming that there is some correlation between an IPP Printer and a
Semantic Model System.)

With respect to the question of can a System Control Service accept Print
commands, I understand that we are saying that all IPP commands are Print
commands. On the other hand, the Semantic Model is clear in that the SM SCS
"is not job oriented there are no Jobs coming in or output produced and
therefore no subordinate DefaultJobTicket or Capabilities." I suggest that,
from the SM viewpoint, the System Control Service provides access to System
elements, including control of System Services, but would not understand any
imaging command.

That is not to say that IPP cannot deviate from the Semantic Model, but
hopefully not without good reason.

Thanks,
Bill Wagner