WBMM> WBMM Requiements

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 30 19:24:43 EST 2003

The PWG process (diagram) acknowlesd Brainstorming, Charter development
and Requirments gathering as valid actiities at the origin of a new
program. I'd like to begin a requirements thread. Here are requirements of
WBMM that I would like to see addressed

1. More expressive than the Printer MIB
  - While the Printer MIB is an EXCELLENT standard from the point of view
of adoption and functionality... there is room for improvment
  - Specifically, we could be more expressive and clearer regarding State,
Status and Error reaaons.
    - You who are smiling know what I'm talking about (i.e. nix the
decoder ring...)
2. Expressed in XML
  - More than a clique, XML will aid developers in designing and
implementing compliant applicatins with modern tools
3  Usable by a wide variety of applications
  - Experience with the Printer MIB has demonstrated that the range of
interested applications includes
     - Device Management
     - Accounting
     - Enterprise Managemtn
     - Remote Serviceing and Help Desk
     - Self configuring Drivers
4. Optomized for interoperatility
  - Care should be given to the use of mandatory and optional
  - Min/Max access to settable attributes should not be a mystery
  -  Consider a self describing data model vs.  embedding definitions in
the protocol
5. More... I'm sure. Please join in...
Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems