WBMM> RE: Scope and Starting Point

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Thu Feb 27 16:43:18 EST 2003

Hi folks,

I think that Bob Taylor articulated the "internal" scenario - plugging
into the existing systems management platforms, like Web Jet Admin,
OpenView, Tivoli, etc.

NOTE: I hereby withdraw my objections to the monitored devices choosing
to initiate connections (OUTBOUND across the customer's firewall and
thence to the service provider's data gathering system) on HTTP port 80.
The IETF wouldn't like it at all, but maybe we (PWG) don't care.

If the HTTP port 80 connections are always initiated by the monitored
devices (and NEVER by the system management platform), then I'd say
that the same protocols (HTTP/1.1 over optional TLS/1.0 over TCP)
apply just fine to both the "external" and "internal" scenarios.

A question arises about how a system management platform (internal or
external) can trigger the monitored device to initiate a connection
(for example to pickup a new configuration or a security patch??).

I suggest that the system management platform could send an email
to the monitored device as that trigger.  No new customer
infrastructure is required (although the monitored device has
to have an email address in the customer's enterprise network).

I think the vast majority of the Printer MIB (v1 or v2) is perfectly
sound data modelling and it's only the (small) area of the "magic
decoder ring" that we need to clean up.

Is WBMM intended to overlap not only physical device configuration
(Printer/Finisher MIBs) but also logical configuration (IPP system
admin operations)?  I think it's a bad idea to dive into logical
configuration, for example, print queues (which DMTF CIM does
encompass).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc