WIMS> CIM - PWG Request for near-term interaction

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Sat Nov 19 00:37:00 EST 2005

The PWG has been working to satisfy our agreement as outlined in the Work
Register. Since June, the PWG has formed a working team, educated
ourselves on CIM, discussed alternatives and identified approaches to
updating the current CIM model for printer management. Progress on the
Work Register is currently stalled, however. Our one audience with CIM
Core, via teleconference, left us with questions about the DMTF Change
Request process, possible frowning upon deprecation, whether or not a
Print Profile is desired and how to actually go about writing and
submitting the formal DMTF Change Request.

We think we have a viable approach to recommend for updating CIM with a
mixture of editorial changes and some additional properties that will
accomplish our main goal of modernization in the least disruptive manner.
We can envision possible follow-on work with deeper, more meaningful
revamping including a complete Imaging Services model.

In order to move forward we need a more active working relationship with
person(s) in the DMTF who can guide us through the process hurdles
including someone willing to review our alternatives and recommendations
before we can set off with confidence on what we know will result in a
fruitful course of action.

John, I know you are willing to assist, as you have in the past. I request
that you please help identify the right parties. Then we can schedule a
(hopefully) brief period of interaction aimed at getting the PWG Work
Register back on track with minimal delay.
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems