WIMS> Last Call Objectives

wamwagner at comcast.net wamwagner at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 12:31:56 EST 2005

Ira is correct that is our intent to offer just Peter's counter spec for last call i early enough to be considered at the Tokyo meeting. The counter spec is a significant document that defines in a structured and consistent way multi-function imaging system parameters for services status and  utilization. At this point, this definition is not bound to any specific management application or protocol, but rather provides conceptual standardization applicable to imaging system monitoring, management and administration using any method. These counter elements address service aspects not covered by the existing printer MIB, or by any other standard. Our objective is to get this document out for review and approval.

Specific mappings of the counters to MIB and XML Schema context are being worked on, but these are not yet ready for review, and reasonably will not be until the after the more abstract Counter Spec is agreed to.

Although the counter spec, its schema mapping, and the schema mapping of the Printer MIB elements were predicated by the WIMS working group objectives, the utility of these efforts is not limited to use with the WIMS protocol. Rather, it is expected that initiatives such as DMTF/CIM and WSDM will also wish to use the results of the detailed  management model manifest in the results of these efforts. For this reason, it is particularly desirable that the Counter Spec and the subsequent mapping products of the WIMS working group be considered even by those who may have no interest in the WIMS protocol itself.

As to the WIMS protocol specification, we believe it is nearing completion although, as Ira points out, PWG procedure requires that a suitable requirements document also be issued. The  The WIMS working group, in conjunction with the PWG officers, will determine how this is best addressed. The current version of the draft specification is available under the "WD" subdirectory in the WIMS section of the PWG FTP site. WIMS specification will not be offered for last call prior to the April PWG meeting. However,  an informative presentation describing the purpose, form and implementation of the WIMS protocol will be presented at the meeting. This is intended both for those who are unfamiliar with this project, and for those who would like an update. The members of the working group believe that the protocol addresses a very real and intensifying set of  requirements, and is interested in  comments from the wider body of printer and multifunction device makers, distributors, users and maintainers.

Bill Wagner, WIMS Chairman