WIMS> Move WIMS requirements to separate spec

wamwagner at comcast.net wamwagner at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 12:54:40 EST 2005

The inclusion of the earlier documents for scenarios and requirements (which documents did represent a major investment of time and energy) was a trial. I agree that this section overwhelms the WIMS spec and needs some severe editing if not complete elimination. Further, there were functional requirements implicit in the scenarios that were eventually dropped or pushed off.

Although I think the scenarios (properly edited) are useful and aid in the understanding of the WIMS objectives, I have no objection to just including a summary requirements section in the spec.  I believe the Process document is unclear as to whether the statement of requirements is "of" the protocol or requirements "for" the protocol. Despite first sentence of  Process paragraph 4.4, "... the statement of requirements for the standard to be produced is required", the gist of the paragraph appears to relate to requirements of the standard. In this case (which seems to be the interpretation taken by other working groups), dropping the scenarios and just updating the requirements section in the current draft would appear to satisfy the intent of the process.

Bill Wagner