WIMS> Requirements for WIMS Protocol- Next Conference Call

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 10 12:18:23 EDT 2005

I can make Noon EDT on 8/16 in place of the regular schedule which would
have fallen on Noon EDT 8/17.
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

wamwagner at comcast.net
Sent by: owner-wims at pwg.org
08/09/2005 10:33 PM

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>, "'wims at pwg.org'" <wims at pwg.org>
cc

Subject
WIMS> Requirements for WIMS Protocol- Next Conference Call

Thank you Ira.

I will incorporate these into the existing document sometime before next
Monday and post the document. In the meantime, please review Ira's
changes.

There will be no WIMS conference call Wednesday 10 August. I propose a
call for noon EDT on Tuesday 16 August. If you have comments on the WIMS
protocol document and are not able to participate in a conference call at
that time, please email an alternate day and time to the list and we will
try to accomodate.

Thanks.

Bill Wagner, Chairman, WIMS

> [...]

> [SOAP1.2-1] (normative for WIMS Protocol binding to SOAP/1.2)
>
> [SOAP1.2-2] (normative for WIMS Protocol binding to SOAP/1.2)

> [replace existing section 3 entirely with]
>
> 3. Requirements
>
> 3.1 Rationale for WIMS Protocol
>
> The ISO, I! ETF, and PWG standards for the printing industry define:
>
> (a) A rationale for an abstract model of printing (to support alternate
> encodings and protocols) in section 3 of the IETF IPP Rationale
> [RFC2568] which led to the later development of the PWG Semantic
> Model/1.0 [PWG5105.1].
>
> (b) A set of design goals for status monitoring in a printing protocol
> in section 3.1.3 'Viewing the status and capabilities of a printer'
> (for End User), section 3.2.1 'Alerting' (for Operator), and section
> 3.3 'Administrator' (the bullet requirement to 'administrate billing
> or other charge-back mechanisms') of the IETF IPP Design Goals
> [RFC2567].
>
> (c) An abstract model of a Print Service in section 2.1 of IETF IPP/1.1
> [RFC2911].
>
> (d) A set of multifunction Service types for Imaging Systems in the
> 'JmJobServiceTypesTC' textual convention in! section 4 of the IETF
> Job Monitoring MIB [RFC2707].
>
> (e) An abstract model of a multifunction Job in section 2 of the IETF
> Job Monitoring MIB [RFC2707].
>
> (f) An abstract model of a Print Job in section 2.2 of IETF IPP/1.1
> [RFC2911].
>
> (g) A set of abstract Print Job counter attributes in section 4.3.18 of
> IETF IPP/1.1 [RFC2911], section 3.8 of PWG IPP Production Printing
> Attributes [PWG5100.3], section 5.1 of PWG IPP Job Extensions
> [PWG5100.7], and section 4 of the IETF Job Monitoring MIB [RFC2707].
>
> (h) An abstract model of a Print Device in section 2.2 of the IETF
> Printer MIB v2 [RFC3805].
>
> (i) A set of abstract Print Device counter attributes in section 6 of
> the IETF Printer MIB v2 [RFC3805].
>
> (j) An abstract model of a printing Resource in section 6.3.7 and
> section 9.8 of ISO Document Printing Application (DPA) [ISO10175].
>

> Over the p! ast decade, network printers have evolved into multifunction

> Imaging Systems. In order to support monitoring, maintenance, and
> administration of these Imaging Systems, this document defines:
>
> (1) New abstract Agent, Device, Manager, Resource, Service, Subunit, and

> System objects with Status and Description element groups, as a
> framework extension to the PWG Semantic Model/1.0 [PWG5105.1].
>
> (2) New abstract Report and Schedule objects to support the delayed
> execution of monitoring, management, and administration actions, as
> a framework extension to the PWG Semantic Model/1.0 [PWG5105.1].
>
> (3) New abstract Alert and Subscription objects to support notifications

> for events from monitored objects, as a framework extension to the
> PWG Semantic Model/1.0 [PWG5105.1].
>
> (4) Two sets of abstract operations (i.e., Agent Interface and Manager
&! gt; Interface) to support monitoring, management, and administration,
as
> a framework extension to the PWG Semantic Model/1.0 [PWG5105.1].
>
> (5) A set of conformance requirements for implementation of these new
> abstract objects, operations, and actions.
>

> 3.2 Use Models for WIMS Protocol
>
> 3.2.1 Service Providers - Monitoring and Billing
>
> Outside service providers may lease and maintain imaging software and
> imaging equipment in remote customer enterprise networks (in different
> administrative domains).
>
> Note: Typically monitoring proxies within customer enterprise networks
> are required for scalability of this use model. However, the deployment
> of monitoring proxies and of security credentials is outside the scope
> of this document.
>
> (1) To support basic usage billing, outside service providers
> may read System counters from imaging systems (e.g., every month).
> > (2) To support detailed usage billing, outside service providers
> may read Service and Subunit counters from imaging systems (e.g.,
> every month).
>
> (3) To support reordering of supplies, outside service providers
> may read System and Subunit counters from imaging systems (e.g.,
> every week).
>
> (4) To support preventive maintenance, outside service providers
> may read System counters from imaging systems (e.g., every week) and
> may subscribe to System, Service, and Subunit events.
>
> (5) To support downtime guarantees, outside service providers
> may read System, Service, and Subunit counters from imaging systems,
> especially for configuration changes, critical alerts, and
> allocation errors (e.g., every 15 minutes).
>

> 3.2.2 System Administrators - Network Management
>
> Network System administrators configure a! nd manage Services and
Subunits
> [...]
>
> (4) To support usage and access policies, network system administrators
> may change enable and disable System, Service, Device, and Subunit
> elements on imaging systems (e.g., as needed) and may subscribe to
> System, Service, Device, and Subunit events.
>
> (5) To support! preventive maintenance, network system administrators
> may read System counters from imaging systems (e.g., every week).
>
> (6) To support emergency maintenance, network system administrators
> may read System, Service, and Subunit counters from imaging systems,
> especially for configuration changes, critical alerts, and
> allocation errors (e.g., every 15 minutes) and may subscribe to
> System, Service, and Subunit events.
>

> 3.2.3 Network Applications - Accounting
>
> Network accounting applications monitor Services and Jobs on imaging
> systems in local enterprise networks.
>
> (1) To support basic accounting, a network accounting application
> may read System counters from imaging systems (e.g., every month).
>
> (2) To support detailed accounting, a network accounting application
> may read Service counters from imaging systems (e.! g., every week).
>
> (3) To support user accounting, a n etwork accounting application
> may read Service, Job, and Document counters from imaging systems
> (e.g., every minute) and may subscribe to Service, Job, and Document
> events.
>

> 3.3 Design Requirements for WIMS Protocol
>
> (1) The WIMS Protocol design MUST follow the naming conventions and
> element structuring requirements defined in the PWG Semantic
> Model/1.0 [PWG-5105.1], including group and element containment,
> counter datatype, and counter precision requirements.
>
> (2) The WIMS Protocol design MUST support mappings to multiple transport

> protocols (e.g., TCP or UDP) (see sections 3.2.1 and 3.2.2).
>
> (3) The WIMS Protocol design MUST support mappings to multiple session
> protocols (e.g., HTTP, SMTP, or BEEP) (see sections 3.2.1 and
> 3.2.2).
>
> (4) The WIMS Protocol design MUST support mappings to multiple security!

> protocols (e.g., TLS or S/MIME) (see sections 3.2.1 and 3.2.2).
>
> (5) The WIMS Protocol design MUST support mappings to multiple
> management protocols (e.g., OASIS WSDM or IETF SNMP) and multiple
> data modelling languages (e.g., XML Schema or SNMP SMIv2) (see
> section 3.2.1).
>
> (6) The WIMS Protocol design MUST support Schedule objects
> corresponding to the schedTable element defined in IETF Schedule MIB
> [RFC3231] (see all use models in section 3.2).
>
> (7) The WIMS Protocol design MUST support Report objects for reporting
> results and status for delayed actions specified in Schedule objects
> (see all use models in section 3.2).
>
> (8) The WIMS Protocol design MUST support Subscription objects
> corresponding to the Subscription object defined in IETF IPP Event
> Notifications [RFC3995] (see all use models in section 3.2).
> > (9) The WIMS Protocol design MUST support Alert objects
&g t; corresponding to the Notification object defined in IETF IPP Event