WIMS> CIM: August 18, 2005 minutes posted

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Aug 23 10:33:18 EDT 2005

Hi Rick,

In IPP Job and Printer Set Operations (RFC 3380, September 2002),
'xxx-supported'
attributes are settable, because that's the ONLY way the administrator has
to restrict
by policy the use of capabilities that are built-in by the manufacturer but
should NOT
be used at the particular site.  That approach comes from IPP/1.0 (RFC 2566)
and IPP/1.1
(RFC 2911) - which assumed the actual setting of 'xxx-supported' was done
out-of-band.

This goes all the way back to ISO DPA, where 'xxx-supported' had these same
semantics
and behavior - they are policy attributes, NOT fixed manufacturer capability
attributes.

RFC 3380 defines a new operation 'Get-Printer-Supported-Values' that allows
an
administrator to discover the existence of a manufacturer built-in
capability that has
been previously disabled by policy (and to restore it by setting the
appropriate
'xxx-supported' attribute).

Hope this helps the discussion.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc