WIMS> Why WIMS should use an IANA-assigned port

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Oct 19 16:12:55 EDT 2005

Hi,

Reading the WIMS URI Scheme over again, I realized that I'd followed
the SOAP spec itself (default HTTP port is 80) and not current IETF
best practice.

The latest IETF NetConf over SOAP draft says SHOULD use IANA-assigned
port [tbd] for NetConf over SOAP/HTTP.

For that matter, Candidate Standard PWG PSI/1.0 (SOAP/HTTP) says SHALL use
port 3800 (IANA-assigned) first and only fallback to port 80 optionally.
And PWG IPPFAX (IPP/HTTP) says MUST use IANA-assigned port 3951 as default.

I suggest that I apply to Michelle at IANA for a WIMS over SOAP port (she
granted one for both PSI and IPPFAX while they were work-in-progress).

Comments?

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434