WIMS> CIM> What CIM schema changes can be made in minor (non-breaking) updates?

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Mon May 22 13:38:56 EDT 2006

I fully agree with Rick.
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

<Richard_Landau at Dell.com>
Sent by: owner-wims at pwg.org
05/22/2006 10:01 AM

<wims at pwg.org>
cc

Subject
WIMS> CIM> What CIM schema changes can be made in minor (non-breaking)
updates?

In a CIM Core discussion about some proposed changes, I found the
following blurb:
   "Remember that a minor schema change may:
      - Add properties
      - Introduce new classes between existing classes
      - Move existing properties up from an existing class"
A "minor schema change" in this context is one that alters the minor
version number but not the major version number.  The CIM Schema version
number is structured as  major.minor.patch,  so that, for instance, moving
from 2.12 to 2.13 is a minor change.  Minor changes must not break
existing code, but otherwise may include the types of changes mentioned.
The changes we (PWG) are proposing are all minor.  *Extremely* minor in
phase 1, very minor in phase 2, and still minor in phase 3 even if we
perform some surgery on the class structure.  Let's not worry too much
about this until someone says, "No."  Remember Grace Hopper's Law: It is
easier to beg forgiveness than to get permission.
rick