WIMS> CIM> Docs uploaded: PrinterMIB property list, priorities, reasoning. For concall Thurs.

WIMS> CIM> Docs uploaded: PrinterMIB property list, priorities, reasoning. For concall Thurs.

Richard_Landau at Dell.com Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Tue Jul 25 18:27:27 EDT 2006

WIMS-CIM participants:

RE: action item to produce a list of Printer MIB properties and
priorities

For the meeting Thursday, I just uploaded two fun files to
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/wims/cim/
(They aren't working documents, so I didn't think they belonged in wd/.)

1.  PrinterMibObjectsToAdd_20060725.xls

A spreadsheet containing a list of all PrinterMIB v2 properties, and
some of their abstract containers, and my votes for priorities.
Question: what properties should be carried forward to a new CIM
PrintDevice class (whatever it is named)?  Priority levels are A = Must
be visible.  B = Nice to have but not essential; gravy.  C = Don't
bother.

The responses are in three columns, A, B, and C, with an entry being
either blank or 1 (one).  (Or a zero for irrelevant items that are just
SNMP structure, such as table headers.)  I chose this weird
representation so that I could add up all the columns to see if the
numbers come out right, that is, did I forget to assign a priority to
one of them.

There are areas for several other of the regular participants to add
their priorities, too, and comments, and we can combine and discuss the
results.

2.  PrinterMibObjectPriorities_Reasoning_RBL_20060724.rtf

A brief text (MS Word) document giving hints at the reasoning that I
used in coming up with the priorities I assigned.  What is the target
set of printers that I aimed for, what is important (to me, at least) to
sense, monitor, or manage about those printers, etc.

Please remember, in this exercise, we can always add properties later,
through a relatively painless CR process, so I am trying to aim low for
this first pass.

Happy reading.  Thanks.

rick

Richard_Landau(at)dell(dot)com, Stds & System Mgt Arch, CTO Office
+1-512-728-9023, One Dell Way, RR5-3 MS 8509, Round Rock, TX 78682