WIMS> CIM> What's the context for considering the list of Printer MIB properties?

WIMS> CIM> What's the context for considering the list of Printer MIB properties?

Richard_Landau at Dell.com Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Fri Jul 28 17:27:30 EDT 2006

RE: the list of properties from Printer MIB that might be carried
forward into an improved CIM Printer or PrintDevice model

When we discuss this list with people in our respective companies, or
think about it ourselves, please let's view the list in this context:
What management *functions* do we want to preserve?  We don't
necessarily want to preserve any particular data items, but there are
certain management functions that we will need in the future to manage
printer hardware through CIM-based software.

Example: regarding localization, about which there was some discussion
yesterday.  The questions are not simply Do we want to preserve these
data items, but rather
- Do we want to be able to sense the current localization of the
console?
- Do we want to be able to sense the list of local languages that the
printer could possibly display on the console?
- Do we want to be able to change the current localization of the
console?
And maybe others.

If you find similar subtleties while trying to assign simple priorities,
please let's make liberal use of the Comment field to capture them.

Thanks.  Talk to you next week.

rick
Richard_Landau(at)dell(dot)com, Stds & System Mgt Arch, CTO Office
+1-512-728-9023, One Dell Way, RR5-3 MS 8509, Round Rock, TX 78682