WIMS> CIM - Precedent for ifIndex reference in CIM MOFs

Richard_Landau at Dell.com Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Tue Feb 13 15:39:47 EST 2007

Good answer, particularly the precedent, which is analogous

rick

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-wims at pwg.org [mailto:owner-wims at pwg.org] On Behalf Of
McDonald, Ira
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 16:29
To: 'wims at pwg.org'
Subject: WIMS> CIM - Precedent for ifIndex reference in CIM MOFs

Hi,

Rick raised this good question the other day:

  How do we defend our reference to ifIndex in the
  Description of CIM_PrintChannel.InterfaceId?

Our answer to the CIM Core WG:

  We note that this property is auxiliary information
  that is only meaningful if MIB-II is mapped into
  the CIM-OM (normally the case, if SNMP is enabled
  in the network).

  We note their precedent in CIM_SNMPTrapIndication
  (CIM standard mapping of SNMPv1 Traps), where the
  property GenericTrap specifically depends on ifIndex
  for interpretation of 'Link Down' and 'Link Up'.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com