WIMS> CIM> What is the W for?

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Mon Jan 5 14:21:05 EST 2009

I support W as  "Working group"

________________________________

From: owner-wims at pwg.org [mailto:owner-wims at pwg.org] On Behalf Of
Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 11:10 AM
To: wims at pwg.org
Subject: WIMS> CIM> What is the W for?

Re: changing the name of the WIMS group to reflect its broader scope

If the goal is to retain the acronym WIMS, we must construct a suitable
backronym.  The problem is the W, since the absorbed PMP items are not
"Web-based."  The current charter draft suggests "Wide-scope."

A few minutes with a dictionary yielded some other possibilities.

Interesting but rejected:
- Wagner's     (practical)
- Wonderful    (boastful)
- Whiz-bang   (flippant)

Possible:
- Well-known
- Working group for, as in "Working group for Imaging Management
Semantics."

So long as the W does not stand for Washington, or for any other meaning
of "W" recently related to Washington, it's okay.

Of course, we could always change the name slightly, since lots of
interesting words end in MS for Management Semantics.  For example,
Imaging Systems Management Semantics, or ISMS.  Has kind of a nice ring
to it.

rick

Richard_Landau(at)dell(dot)com, Stds & System Mgt Architecture, CTO
Office
+1-512-728-9023, One Dell Way, RR5-3, MS RR5-32, Round Rock, TX 78682