[WIMS] Draft of Charter of WIMS Power Mgmt Project

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:00:57 UTC 2009

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the comments - my replies are inline below.

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
 579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
 734-944-0094
summer:
 PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
 906-494-2434

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Harry Lewis <harry.lewis at infoprint.com>wrote:

> Ira, great start! Couple observations.
>
> 1. As written, adding or changing power state definitions is out of scope.
> Should the objectives include "interpretation" or mapping of defined power
> states as they relate to imaging devices?
>   - For example - are we going to standardize which "power level" relates
> to fuser or scanner lamp readiness etc?

<ira>
My two cents.

There was strong concensus at the last two face-to-face BOFs
NOT to allow any but standard (CIM/ACPI) or vendor-defined
power states - no site-defined power states - however, each
power state should have an attribute for power consumption
(in watts) - ACPI and CIM do NOT manage the absolute
power level - they manage a *small* set of standard power
states.

Therefore, the power *state* that relates to fuser or scanner
lamp readiness is in-scope for WIMS Power, but the exact
power consumption should NOT be changeable by the site.

Site-defined Power Policy (when to go to sleep after idle
or a time-of-day) that can be changed is in-scope.
</ira>

> 2. Should the subtask have its own reflector? (we can't pass up the
> opportunity for POW at PWG.ORG!)

<ira>
No - we should continue to use the single WIMS reflector
(as we have done for 4 years for CIM without problems).
</ira>