[WIMS] Re: Imaging System Power MIB

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:43:59 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

Replies inline below.

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM, William Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Ira,
>

> A few questions from looking though the MIB.
>
> 1.     The Abstract document identified five stable power states.  The MIB
> appears to identify six, with the difference being that there are two OFF
> states in the MIB and one in the abstract document.
>
> offHard(60),                    -- Off Hard - mechanical unplug
>
> off(80),                        -- Off - soft off w/ flea power
>

> It is unclear how the MIB OFF states  correlate with the Abstract Document
> OFF state, although my inclination is that the abstract OFF correlates best
> to offHard.  Do we need to include the two “off’s” in the abstract document?
> A better explanation of what is involved in “flea power” would be desirable
> (enough for turn on by network,  Bluetooth or  IR, illuminate the power
> switch, just reactive leakage, ?)

<ira>
The MIB *exactly* follows the authoritative states listed in Table 2 on page 34
of the Power Management Model - it came via cut-and-paste.

Yes - we have an issue to address about distinguished OffHard from Off(Soft)
in the Model (and then the MIB).

> 2.     Because powMonitorIndex is used throughout the MIB, would not some
> statement that an index assignment cannot be changed except on hard reset
> (or whatever) be desirable?

<ira> I would say that powMonitorIndex MUST be preserved across all
reboots and MUST NOT change with reboots (because it breaks the
integrity of the Power Log and all other groups).
</ira>

> 3.     Perhaps some  mention of the power-cycle persistence of the LogTable
> might be desirable.

<ira> Yes - although the main persistence discussion belongs in
the front matter of the eventual Power MIB spec, I think.
</ira>

> 4.     I have put it though the MG-SOFT compiler without problem.

<ira>
Thanks
</ira>

> Bill Wagner