[WIMS] Re: [PDL versions?] PWG last call - Command Set Format - IEEE1284 Device ID -25 Feb 2010

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 17:46:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

Jerry - to address your specific concerns:

(1) Currently IANA Printer MIB includes
      - langPCL(3)
      - langHPGL(4)
      - langPJL(5)
      - langPS(6)
      - langPCLXL(47)
      - langPDF(54)

(2) IANA is very responsive (days) about
registering new values, so adding (for
example) langPDFis, langPS2, langPDF4,
etc., is feasible and practical.

I suggest that registering new values with
IANA is preferable to a (probably not
interoperable) optional use of version
suffixes.

I agree that the Genuine versus Emulation
issue is important for product claims and
for customers - I just don't think we should
try to shoehorn it into IEEE 1284 Device ID.

Bill - due to repeated changes of our mail
server, PWG Steering Committee decided
several years ago to only put this generic
reference to mailing list subscription info
in our specs:

  http://www.pwg.org/mailhelp.html

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
 579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
 734-944-0094
summer:
 PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
 906-494-2434

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Jerry Thrasher <thrasher at lexmark.com>wrote:

> Re the questions that were raised (not to the point of last call comments
> but I guess they should be discussed)
>
> The question about distinguishing the difference between an Emulation and
> "Genuine" is not a concern
> about interoperability, but if there is a legal requirement to make the
> distinction. We are checking on the
> history of this "requirement" internally, if others on the list have an
> opinion, please share.
>
> The question about distinguishing versions of PDLs really comes down to the
> user experience, and if
> the potential interoperability issues are acceptable to those who want to
> parse the string. I'd like to hear
> Mike Sweet's take on this.  Specific examples of this are fairly easy to
> cite.
>
> (If a device only supports PCL 3, but simply advertizes PCL, and is sent a
> PCL 5 or 6 job that uses HP-GL2 from the host,
> there will be interoperability problems)
> (Another variant on the versioning issues is if a device only supports PDF
> I/S, and only advertizes PDF, and is sent PDF V4,
> there may be memory issues with processing the job.)
>
> A very quick scan of vendor web pages and their claimed PDL support .
>
> Lower end inkjet printers and MFDs support, HP PCL 3 GUI, HP PCL 3 Enhanced
>
> Lower end lasers that support "standard PDLs" support, Postscript 3, PCL 6,
> PCL 5e
>
> (Sample from four different vendor web sites, all with list prices under
> $300.00 USD)
>
> _____________________________________
>
> [image: LEXMARK] *
> Jerry Thrasher*
> Senior Engineer, WW Corporate Standards
> C14/082-1, 740 New Circle Rd, Lexington Ky 40550
> Office: +1 859 825 4056     Fax: +1 859 232 7628
> thrasher(at)lexmark(dot)com
>

>  *"William Wagner" <wamwagner at comcast.net>*
>
> 01/27/2010 09:01 PM
> "'Ira McDonald'" <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>
> cc
> <wims at pwg.org>, "'Jerry Thrasher'" <thrasher at lexmark.com>
> Subject
> RE: [PDL versions?] PWG last call - Command Set Format - IEEE1284
> Device ID -25 Feb 2010
>

> Hi Ira,
>
> Understood … but I believe it is more polite to ask permission before
> posting to the list emails sent privately.
>
> I simply suggested that, to satisfy the requirements you listed in the
> document, it is necessary to be able to understand what the PDL is, and
> because there are differences in emulations and versions, it may be
> necessary that the reader be aware of the emulation or version.  If there is
> no way of providing this information, then interpreter either has to deal
> with a PDL that is not quite what it says it is, or it has another private
> PDL to accommodate. In either case, the underlying objective of the
> specification is compromised. Currently, although the string may not be as
> [...]

believed to be clean.