[WIMS] Should IETF EMAN register PWG power states? - No

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 19:19:31 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

Actually, the EMAN Monitoring MIB now has a table
(similar to ours) that defines the max power (but not
other characteristics) of each state - so PWG vendor
states could be listed.

But it's tail wagging dog for MFDs to force new logic
in power management apps for the whole computer
industry.  That's why I think that we should not allow
the reporting of vendor extension states in EMAN.

In DMTF CIM there is NOT a way to insert these
vendor extension states (or their characteristics), so
the EMAN mapping would be of limited utility.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Ira,
>
> I agree that we should stick with the existing DMTF power states - without
> some way to describe the vendor states, it would be impossible to have a
> generic client monitor things properly...
>
> On Aug 11, 2011, at 8:47 AM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> ACTION - All - Read and comment on this power states issue for EMAN.
>
> The latest draft of the IETF EMAN Energy Monitoring MIB (monitor-only
> subset of EMAN model) includes the following issue:
>
>         "OPEN ISSUE 12: Consideration of IEEE-ISTO PWG in the IANA list
>         of Power State Set ? PWG Imaging Systems Power Management MIB
>         reference."
>
> And Bruce Nordman (EMAN co-chair) raised the question of registering the
> PWG power states with IANA for EMAN last week at the PWG meeting
> - I waffled in my reply.
>
> On reflection, I propose that the PWG does NOT register their own power
> states (adding significant complexity to the NMS systems that will already
> support the other three standard power state sets).
>
> Instead, best practice would be for PWG Power MIB enabled devices to
> *fold* vendor extension states into their base DMTF power states (already
> in EMAN) for more coherent power monitoring and power management
> across the enterprise.  This folding would have to occur anyway for a DMTF
> CIM mapping of the PWG Power Model, so we'd be consistent for "outside"
> standards.
>
> Comments?
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira
>
> PS - I'd like to reply on the IETF EMAN mailing list within the next two
> weeks
> on this issue - please send your opinions.

> Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
> Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com