IFX Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re: MOD - Confusion about image/tiff MIME Content Type

RE: IPP> Re: MOD - Confusion about image/tiff MIME Content Type

Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:45:20 -0800

Jim,

The current IPP/1.1 I-D Model and Semantics draft has examples for
mimeMediaTypes to show some useful parameters for 'text/plain' so that
people get the idea about parameters on media types.

Should we add the faxbw and faxcolor parameters as examples to 'image/tiff'?

Then we would have three examples in the IPP Model and Semantics section
4.1.9:

'image/tiff': Tag Image Format - see IANA MIME Media Type registry
'image/tiff; application=faxbw': Tag Image Format - black and white
profile or subset of TIFF for Facsimile. see IANA MIME Media Type registry
'image/tiff; application=faxcolor': Tag Image Format - color profile or
subset of TIFF for Facsimile. see IANA MIME Media Type registry

Thanks,
Tom

Here is what we have in our Internet-Draft draft-ietf-ipp-model-v11-00.txt:

4.1.9 'mimeMediaType'

The 'mimeMediaType' attribute syntax is the Internet Media Type (sometimes
called MIME type) as defined by RFC 2046 [RFC2046] and registered according
to the procedures of RFC 2048 [RFC2048] for identifying a document format.
The value MAY include a charset parameter, depending on the specification of
the Media Type in the IANA Registry [IANA-MT]. Although most other IPP
syntax types allow for only lower-cased values, this syntax type allows for
mixed-case values which are case-insensitive.

Examples are:

'text/html': An HTML document
'text/plain': A plain text document in US-ASCII (RFC 2046 indicates that in
the absence of the charset parameter MUST mean US-ASCII rather than simply
unspecified) [RFC2046].
'text/plain; charset=US-ASCII': A plain text document in US-ASCII [52, 56].
'text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1': A plain text document in ISO 8859-1
(Latin 1) [ISO8859-1].
'text/plain; charset=utf-8': A plain text document in ISO 10646 represented
as UTF-8 [RFC2279]
'application/postscript': A PostScript document [RFC2046]
'application/vnd.hp-PCL': A PCL document [IANA-MT] (charset escape sequence
embedded in the document data)
'image/tiff': Tag Image Format - see IANA MIME Media Type registry
'application/pdf': Portable Document Format - see IANA MIME Media Type
registry
'application/octet-stream': (REQUIRED) Auto-sense - see below