IFX Mail Archive: RE: Word docs

RE: Word docs

Michael Crawford (mcrawford@iready.com)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:32:49 -0800

I understand the confusion...I wish I wasn't confused myself, but then
again, wishing doesn't make it so (red face).

It might be worthwhile setting the stage so to speak.

Okay, this is a fax centric view. First a fax machine operation.

1. User takes out of box, plugs in power and hooks up phone cable to phone
plug.
2. User configures name to appear on faxes it sends
3. User configures phone number to appear on faxes it sends
4. Users configures fax to auto answer when someone calls (probably a
default condition)

Ready to Go!

5. Someone elsewhere decides to send to fax to our friend above, so drops
in paper and
6. dials the number and presses start

So far this is why fax is so popular...look how simple! Why change this.

7. Fax machine at our friends house rings, answers and the two machines
negotiate capabilities
8. Cuz fax standards are simple (speed is 9600 or 14400, image type is G3
or G4, resolution is fine
or super fine) the machines agree on a format.
9. The 'elsewhere' person's fax sends the image line by line, page by page,
and
10. Our friend's machine receives and prints accordingly. When done we
disconnect from the phone line at both ends.

Now an Internet fax should act as much as similar as possible...except that
instead of phone numbers we
either use an IP address, or better yet a standard hostname (that DNS can
resolve). The connection
between two machines could ideally work the same...i.e.

1. Internet fax at person A dials into ISP. Gets hooked up and "online".
2. Internet fax A sends request for capabilities to internet fax B
3. Internet fax B is NOT online. Ooops. Now what
4. Or Internet B is online (we happen to catch it while it is dialed up),
so Internet fax B responds with
G3 or G4 then waits
5. Internet fax A now sends first page in TIFF wrapped G3 and waits for
response
or continues to send until the job is complete (I am not sure yet how this
part works under IPP)
6. Internet Fax B receives and sends "Okay got it" as the response.
7. Machines "disconnect" from each other, but may or may not hang up the
phone line.

You should see the key issue is the receiving fax machine (or any other
Internet device ) that is not
full time on the network.

a. What do we do if Internet device B is not online at the time Internet
device A "calls".
b. Can a proxy of some sort (i.e. an IPP intermediate server computer (I
didn't want to write a server server))
help resolve this issue?
c. Do we want to instead require an IPP enabled Internet fax be online
at all times (thereby being called a
fulltime fax) or are there other solutions

Where is Larry when you need him?

Mike