IFX Mail Archive: IFX> US laws related to FAX and implicatio

From: Richard Shockey (rshockey@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 13:36:55 EDT

    As we discussed yesterday I really really think we need to wrap IPP FAX is
    the cloak of fax itself in order to meet the legal tests of what is and
    what is not a fax...the following URL's can provide a lot of information we
    can use to define the problem statement and design into the protocol the
    appropriate requirements.

    In addition ..I am totally convinced that this is necessary to eventually
    MARKET products and services based on this protocol.

    We can design the finest protocol in the world but it won't mean squat if
    we cant market it...

    Our ultimate goal here is a better fax than fax...

    URL's related to Junk fax and 47 USC 227

    http://www.junkfaxes.org/federal_law.htm

    http://www.imc.org/imc-spam/state-federal.html

    http://www.swinton.ca/news/articles/fortherecord/summer98/fax_or_fiction.htm

    BTW the home page for Vcard is...

    Information on Vcard etc....

    http://www.imc.org/pdi/

    Paul Hoffman of the IMC would be the best single source of info on XML
    representations of Vcard data if there is any. phoffman@imc.org

    Richard Shockey
    Senior Technical Industry Liaison
    NeuStar Inc.
    1120 Vermont Avenue N.W.
    Suite 550
    Washington DC. 20005
    Voice 314.503.0640
    Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
    DC Number 202.533.2811
    INTERNET Mail & IFAX : rich.shockey@neustar.com
    or rshockey@ix.netcom.com
    http://www.neustar.com