IFX Mail Archive: IFX> Re: IPP> Re: IPP> REG - Proposa

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 13:39:56 EDT

    "Hastings, Tom N" wrote:

    > Are you guys talking about receipt of event notifications or
    > receipt of the printed job output indicated as a Job object
    > attribute and banner page text?

    Right now I'm more concerned with notification. As I've pointed
    out before, you can already do the "manual" specification of a
    recipient via a cover page. Just adding an attribute for the
    recipient doesn't automate things much - the notification will
    be the feature that will make it worthwhile.

    > If event notifications, what events (job held or job completed or
    > what?) and how is the event specified? Hopefully in some
    > Per-Printer or Per-Job Subscription.

    I'm thinking more along the lines of a per-printer (or in the case
    of CUPS, also a per-server) subscription so that you can be notified
    when a new job is created, processed, and/or completed (depending on
    what you use it for) and take the appropriate action.

    Per-job notifications would have to be initiated by the sender,
    which I think can be handled properly by the current spec without
    a new attribute...

    I guess the main change to the current notification scheme would be
    to allow for a filter of some sort (e.g. job-created-mine event)
    for per-printer subscriptions. Then you'd only receive notifications
    for jobs created by you or destined for you.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com