IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> RE: Fax processing confirmation

RE: IFX> RE: Fax processing confirmation

From: Wagner,William (wwagner@netsilicon.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 17:30:25 EST

    Maeda-san,

    Thank you for your response. I will address your questions as best as I can.
    I understand that IPP appears printer-oriented rather than Facsimile
    oriented. Correcting that and adding the necessary facsimile features is one
    reason for the IPP FAX effort. We must consider what notification parameters
    are significant to the end user in his desire to communicate a document. It
    is not clear to me that these parameters are so different between remote
    printing and facsimile.

    Your questions were:

    1) Does the current draft of the IPP notification include fax processing
    status which I proposed?

    I understand you have proposed "success/failure of document processing and
    page by page status from the receiver"

    In a TCP connection, the lower layers ensure the integrity of the
    transmitted data (or report the inability to sustain a connection);
    therefore, notification of transmission problems are already covered in any
    TCP based transmission..

    It is possible for any transmission (including telephone) to be handled by
    an intermediate server thereby losing the ability to report on document
    processing immediately as the document is transmitted. If there is no
    intermediate server, IPP provides mechanisms for delivering processing
    information during and immediately after transmission. If there is an
    intermediate server, defined notification delivery mechanisms such as
    MAIL_TO (EMAIL message) can still be used to provide notification of final
    disposition; it is assumed that sheet-by-sheet notification by email would
    not be practical.

    Further, the attributes already defined include the sheet-by-sheet
    completion as well as satisfactory completion with job statistics (e.g.,
    number of sheets printed). The use of sheets rather than pages reflects the
    desire to communicate the end result in terms of hardcopy emerging from the
    receiver. The use of sheets avoids the question of two sided or multiple
    page up printing.

    (2) Which section in the IPP notification does describe it?

    The notification mechanism is very general, and only a subset would apply to
    fax. But see 5.3.2.1.3 Subscribed Job Events in
    <draft-ietf-ipp-not-spec-06.txt>, especially Job-State-Changed and
    Job_Progress *(printing a sheet). The sender can "subscribe" to the desired
    notification events when the job is sent. These events (such as printing a
    sheet) trigger a notification to the sender or other designated destination
    with appropriate attribute values.

    The subscription also defines the method of notification delivery, of which
    three methods have been documented in current internet drafts.
    (<draft-ietf-ipp-indp-method-03.txt>, <draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-01.txt> and
    <draft-ietf-ipp-notify-mailto-03.txt>)

    It is likely that, in a fax application, there will be a preferred eventing
    and delivery, so that the whole gamut of IPP capabilities need not be
    addressed.

    (3) Which wg (IPP/fax/IPP FAX) is suitable to discuss it, if the current
    draft of IPP notification does not describe it?

    I suggest that the IPP FAX working group would be more than happy to discuss
    additional attribute and feature requirements from the facsimile
    community.

    (4) Will PWG IPP FAX wg define fax processing status in the IPP notification
    if required?

    The IPP FAX wg intends to add to the basic IPP capability what is needed to
    provide FAX functionality to the end users.

    (5) Can EIFAX and T.37 Full Mode use the IPP notification for fax processing
    results?

    Although IPP Notification was not designed to be an all purpose notification
    capability, it includes may features and other facsimile modes could use a
    subset of the IPP notification capability. It is not immediately clear to
    me whether this would be a good idea, although, if devices included a
    multi-mode Ifax capability, a common notification scheme may have
    advantages.

    Best regards,

    Bill Wagner

    I do not care that the IPP notification may still be "work in progress" or
    not.
    I think that the IPP notification describes print job results but not fax
    processing results.
    We have to think about difference between print job results and fax
    processing results.

    My questions are;
    (1) Does the current draft of the IPP notification include fax processing
    status which I proposed?
    (2) Which section in the IPP notification does describe it?
    (3) Which wg (IPP/fax/IPP FAX) is suitable to discuss it,
    if the current draft of IPP notification does not describe it?
    (4) Will PWG IPP FAX wg define fax processing status in the IPP
    notification if required?
    (5) Can EIFAX and T.37 Full Mode use the IPP notification for fax
    processing results?

    Regards.

    Toru Maeda

    At 12:22 01/02/20 -0500, Wagner,William wrote:
    >Maeda-san,
    >
    >I think Ira McDonald's message may have been misunderstood. The IPP
    >notification may still be "work in progress". But, as indicated by the IESG
    >message below, the basic mechanisms are up for last call. These documents,
    >although they deal with many possible notification events and mechanisms,
    do
    >include "page by page confirmation from the receiver" (or more exactly,
    >sheet by sheet confirmation.)
    >
    >Further, although various notification mechanisms are identified, it is
    >assumed that sheet-by-sheet job progress notification is applicable
    >primarily to real-time notification connections which include the "indp"
    >method <draft-ietf-ipp-indp-method-03.txt> as well as the "get" method
    ><draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-01.txt> alluded to by Ira.
    >
    >I suggest that the IP FAX community may be interested in commenting on
    these
    >notification approaches.
    >
    >I would also suggest that the various IFAX approaches each have advantages
    >in certain environments. T.37 uses virtually universal EMAIL capabilities.
    >T.38 (non-gateway) uses voice over IP, which suggests a voice/fax
    >capability. IPP has great flexibility, it can utilize developments in its
    >host HTTP protocol, and provides for authentication and encryption. It is
    >unclear that internet fax must settle on a single protocol.
    >
    >The IESG announcement, dated Mon 2/19/2001. follows.
    >
    >"The IESG has received a request from the Internet Printing Protocol
    >Working Group to consider Internet Printing Protocol (IPP):IPP Event
    >Notification Specification <draft-ietf-ipp-not-spec-06.txt> as a
    >Proposed Standard.
    >
    >The IESG will also consider publication of Internet Printing Protocol:
    >Requirements for IPP Notifications <draft-ietf-ipp-not-05.txt> as an
    >Informational RFC.
    >

    >The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
    >final comments on this action. Please send any comments to the
    >iesg@ietf.org or ietf@ietf.org mailing lists by March 5, 2001.
    >
    >Files can be obtained via
    >http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-not-spec-06.txt
    >http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-not-05.txt "
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >William A. Wagner (Bill Wagner)
    >Director of Technology
    >Imaging Division
    >NETsilicon, Inc.
    >781-398-4588

    $B%-%d%N%s3t<02q<R(J
    $B1GA|;vL35!(JMIE$B?d?J%;%s%?!<(J
    $B1GA|;vL35!(JMIE$BBh#23+H/It(J
    $BA0ED!!E0(J
    146-8501$B!!El5~ETBgED6h2<4];R#3!]#3#0!]#2(J
    $BEEOC!!(J03-3757-9738$B!"(JFAX$B!!(J03-3757-8205