IFX Mail Archive: IFX> First Draft IPP FAX Slides for presen

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 21:13:30 EDT

    IPP FAX WG,

    I've attached some IPP FAX Status slides (13K .zip file) that Lloyd McIntyre
    will present to the Internet FAX WG meeting next Monday at the IETF in
    London. Please check them over and send any comments. We have until this
    Friday to fix the slides. I call your attention to the IPP FAX Time Line
    slide 2 which has some projected dates. You may want to revise them.

    The files are also down-loaded at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/slides/IPPFAX-status-010729-at-ietf51.ppt
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/slides/IPPFAX-status-010729-at-ietf51.pdf

    Thanks,
    Tom

    Here is the plain text of the slides:

    Slide 1:
    Status of IPP FAX
    presented by Lloyd McIntyre, Xerox
    at the Internet WG meeting at
    IETF51, August 5-10, 2001, London

    Slide 2:
    IPP FAX Time Line
    Started IETF discussions summer 1998
    Printer Working Group standard project
    Started September 2000
    Originally called "High Quality Document Distribution" (QUALDOCS)
    Renamed to IPP FAX to help recognition
    Target completion: this Summer
    Bake Off: this Fall

    Slide 3:
    What is IPP FAX?
    Immediate, reliable, secure Internet transfer of high-quality Universal
    Image Format (UIF) (enhanced TIFF/FX) documents
    Uses the standards track Internet Printing Protocol (IPP/1.1), RFC 2911 and
    2910, September 2000
    Most Printer vendors currently shipping IPP
    Internationalization: document charset and language identified
    Immediate capability query, prompt job accept response, and subsequent
    printing completed notification
    IPP is layered on HTTP/1.1 sessions with default port 631
    Uses Transport Layer Security (TLS, RFC 2246)

    Slide 4:
    UIF (Universal Image Format)
    Higher UIF conformance requirements for each TIFF/FX Profile: S, F, J, C, L,
    M:
    200, 300, 600 DPI REQUIRED for B/W
    200, 300 DPI REQUIRED for color
    Resolution not constrained
    ImageWidth not constrained
    MIME type - self describing subset of:
    tiff/image; application=uif; profile=s,f,j,c,l,mcfjls

    Slide 5:
    IPP FAX Protocol
    Get-Printer-Attributes request/response operation
    query for profiles and CONNEG options supported
    media supported, media loaded, resolutions, etc.
    Print-Job operation to submit UIF document
    End-to-end document transmission with prompt response: all data received,
    all attributes validated
    OPTIONAL off-ramp support (mailto:, fax:, ...)
    IPPGET Event Notifications
    Events for each page and last page printed
    Either Sender polls or Receiver sends events
    Reliable: uses IPP/1.1 protocol

    Slide 6:
    IPP FAX Specifications, 7/27/01
    Universal Image Format (UIF)
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/uif-spec-06.pdf
    IPP FAX Protocol (IFX)
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/ifx-spec-06.pdf
    IPP/1.1 Model and Semantics (RFC 2911)
    IPP/1.1 Encoding and Transport (RFC 2910)
    IPP Event Notifications and Subscriptions
    draft-ietf-ipp-not-spec-06.txt
    IPPGET Delivery Method for Event Notifications
    draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-04.txt

    Slide 7:
    IPPFAX contacts
    IPPFAX Web Page: http://www.pwg.org/qualdocs/index.html