IFX Mail Archive: RE: IFX> TIFF contact person at Adobe

RE: IFX> TIFF contact person at Adobe

From: Scott Foshee (sfoshee@adobe.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 19:07:11 EDT

    Tom (et all),

    I can give you some general comments, but I can not make statements
    that are binding on Adobe. My comments are based on the licenses
    that we have granted others in the past and our communication to the
    IETF. The IETF license is available on the IETF web site in the
    intellectual property section.

    With that disclaimer, my comments are below....

    I should have a better picture after I have a chance to review your
    specifications.

    Hope these help.....Scott

    At 2:35 PM -0700 8/14/01, Hastings, Tom N wrote:
    >Scott,
    >
    >Thanks for joining the IPP FAX telecon this morning. I have a few
    >questions:
    >
    >1. As you indicated on the telecon, the IEEE-ISTO may need to get a license
    >for TIFF from Adobe in order to progress our Universal Image Format (UIF)
    >standard, which builds on TIFF/FX, correct?

    I believe this to be correct. Four different formal standards
    organizations have been granted licenses (the IETF and ITU for TIFF
    FX are two of these).

    >2. You indicated that that license might have some constraints. What sort
    >of constraints?

    I recommend here that you take a look at the IETF license. It
    mentions the specific application area of internet fax, notification
    in the text of the Adobe copyright, and restrictions on extensions.

    >3. Are there any changes to the UIF document that would avoid the need for a
    >license from Adobe or allow us to get one?

    Changes will most likely need to be made. If I am correct that UIF
    is based on TIFF FX, then UIF would inherit any issues that TIFF FX
    had with profiles beyond S. If UIF tracks the revised TIFF FX that
    only has S and maybe F then those specific issues go away. However,
    the IETF use was based on a license so we are back to your question 1
    above.