IFX Mail Archive: IFX> More detail about the IPPFAX presenta

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 18:50:17 EDT

    Lloyd,

    The PWG IPPFAX WG thanks you for presenting the IPPFAX slides to the
    Internet FAX WG at the London IETF meeting.

    The Internet FAX WG minutes show the following about your presentation:

             5.4 PWG IPP Fax status report

            Lloyd reported on behalf of the PWG IPP group. (see slides for a
    detailed
            description of documents and status). Is was made clear that the
    activity
            presetnte is carried on within the IEEE unbrella, and also that the
    IESG
            did not accepted this activity as a possible IETF one, answering
    that
            these activities were already covered by our wg. There was consensus
    from
            the wg that there must be a better coordination with these external
            efforts, in order to avoid any possible incomaptible products to be
       developed.

    Can you elaborate on the kinds of incompatibility they are concerned about?

    Is it about the IPPFAX protocol, about UIF, or about the MIME type and file
    extension?

    Are there some things that we are doing to require more for our UIF S, F, J,
    C, L, M profiles that parallel TIFF/FX profiles that might cause a problem?

    What about the one or two additional TIFF tags for UIF?

    Also we will want to follow the principles that the Internet FAX group agree
    to around the MIME media type and file extension for TIFF/FX. I.e., for
    UIF, one of the following:

    Use image/tiff with new application parameter if this is what TIFF/FX does
    Use the same new TIFF/FX mime type (if TIFF/FX uses a new MIME media type),
    but with new UIF parameter values
    Use a new MIME type (even if TIFF/FX uses a new MIME media type), to keep
    everything distinct.

    Thanks,
    Tom