IFX Mail Archive: IFX> NOT - IPPGET Delivery Method ISSUE 01

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 14:23:16 EDT

    I've been thinking more about ISSUE 01:

    ISSUE 01: Although we agreed to extend Job Creation operations to
    support Event Wait Mode, it seems to be an unnecessary complication, since
    the Printer MUST keep events for at least 15 seconds. So OK NOT to add the
    "notify-wait" (boolean) operation attribute to Job Creation operations and
    NOT have to have Job Creation responses return Event Notification Groups (in
    addition to returning Subscription Attribute Groups).

    I think the following simplifications would make it straightforward to
    support as an extension to Job Creation operations:

    1. Just add "notify-wait" (boolean) as a Job Creation (Create-Job,
    Print-Job, Print-URI) operation attribute and a Validate-Job operation
    attribute.

    A client MAY supply

    A Printer MUST support both values, if it supports Get-Notifications
    operation.

    2. Just add "notify-get-interval" (integer(0:MAX)) operation attribute to
    the Job Creation response.

    A Printer MUST support if it supports Get-Notifications.
    If a client setup an 'ippget' Subscription object in the Job Creation
    operation, a Printer MAY return "notify-get-interval" in which case a client
    MUST try the Get-Notifications again according to the interval returned.

    A Printer MUST support if it supports Get-Notifications. (Then there is no
    need for more Printer Description attributes to say whether Wait Mode is
    supported for Job Creation operations; it MUST be if Get-Notifications is
    supported.)

    3. In order not to complicate the status code coming back in the Job
    Creation response (which already as multiple groups coming back for each
    Subscription object and each group has its own "notify-status-code" as well
    as the operation having an "overall" status code, how about saying that the
    Job Creation response MUST NOT include any Notification Events. If the
    client requests Event Wait Mode in the Job Creation operation ("notify-wait"
    = 'true'), the Printer MUST return any Notification Events in subsequent
    it is in Get-Notification responses.

    How does that sound?

    Then the agreement reached in Toronto to specify Event Wait Mode for Job
    Creation would be met. The same Get-Notifications response code would be
    invoked by the Job Creation operations.

    Tom