IFX Mail Archive: IFX> TIFF-FX viability

IFX> TIFF-FX viability

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 17:07:42 EST

    Can anyone provide an update on the status of the Adobe license issue
    w.r.t.TIFF-FX in the IETF? I know there was some desire for me to pursue a
    license agreement for the PWG but it makes little sense, to me, for the
    PWG to request a license which is identical to that which has been
    rejected for the IETF. If someone can provide some good reasoning and
    there is consensus, I will do this in preparation for the Feb meeting in
    L.A.

    What about considering alternative image formats? At the last f2f there
    was some degree of revelation that it may not be necessary to seek one
    standard that covers all the IFX needs. For example, the combination of
    the JPEG2000/JBIG2/MRC algorithms as described in JPEG20000 Part 6 may
    maximize compression efficiency AND provide a monochrome solution which is
    an efficient subset of the color solution.
    Harry Lewis
    IBM Printing Systems