IFX Mail Archive: IFX> ISTO Printer Working Group Request fo

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 17:46:57 EDT

    The ISTO Printer Working Group is developing a standard designed to
    leverage the Internet Printing Protocol (IETF RFC 2910, 2911) by
    specifying a Universal Image Format (UIF) for driverless point-to-point
    exchange. The project is referred to as "IPP FAX". We would like to
    describe our UIF as TIFF-FX (RFC 2301) with extensions aimed at improving
    quality such as increasing resolution to 600 dpi.

    We are aware that there have been some licensing issues in the IETF
    regarding TIFF-FX. Based on IESG review, these issues appear to have been
    resolved and we are moving forward with our plan to reference TIFF-FX in
    IPP-FAX.

    The UIF specification is publicly available at ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/QUALDOCS/uif-spec-10.doc

    The PWG requests that Adobe review our UIF specification and respond with
    any necessary licensing terms and conditions not included as a natural
    course in referencing RFC 2301.

    Harry Lewis
    Chairman - ISTO Printer Working Group
    IBM Printing Systems