IFX Mail Archive: Re: IFX> Analysis of Using IPP Attributes

Re: IFX> Analysis of Using IPP Attributes for TIFF-FX.

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 18:45:35 EDT

    Ron, thanks for the effort. I haven't had a change to more than scan your
    documents yet but I will make sure these get some exposure during the f2f.
    Very sorry you can't make it!
    Harry Lewis
    IBM Printing Systems

    Ron.Bergman@Hitachi-hkis.com
    Sent by: owner-ifx@pwg.org
    06/10/2002 07:31 PM

            To: IFX@pwg.org
            cc:
            Subject: IFX> Analysis of Using IPP Attributes for TIFF-FX.

    I have attached three documents created as a part of my
    analysis.

    UIF-Analysis.pdf This is a summary of the TIFF Tags and
    their functions that are currently defined in the UIF
    specification. This document should provide a useful
    reference for any discussion in the meeting.

    TIFF2IPP.pdf This is my proposal for the additional
    attributes and values required to provide the current
    functionality available in TIFF. The actual attribute
    specifications are not included in this document, but
    they can easily be generated based upon the information
    in this document. If this proposal is accepted by the
    group, I would be glad to generate the initial attribute
    definitions.

    DSN-Media-Features.pdf A summary of the DSN/MDN Feature
    Extensions. I looked at several other alternatives to see
    if there were any other alternatives to TIFF that would
    be a reasonable substitute. This document provides the
    closest match. Others that I looked at include MIME types
    and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). In addition to the fact
    that none of these specifications provide a good match,
    any of these would require the support of another protocol
    and encoding very different than IPP.

    Use of IPP attributes in place of TIFF has two major
    issues.

    1) A fairly large number of IPP attributes and values
    will be required to fully support the TIFF
    functionality. I believe that a prudent analysis of
    the need for the current set of TIFF requirements will
    reduce this number to a more reasonable level.

    2) IPP attributes cannot easily support Mixed Raster
    Content (MRC). The need for MRC support needs to be
    carefully examined.

    I was not able to obtain approval to attend the Portland
    meeting so I hope someone will volunteer to lead the
    discussion on this topic. The IPP method appears to be a
    reasonable approach but I strongly feel that PDF has the
    potential for the cleanest solution. However, if there are
    any concerns or problems with the use of PDF, this would be
    the next best choice.

    Ron

    <<UIF-Analysis.pdf>> <<TIFF2IPP.pdf>> <<DSN-Media-Features.pdf>>

    #### UIF-Analysis.pdf has been removed from this note on June 11 2002 by
    Harry Lewis
    #### TIFF2IPP.pdf has been removed from this note on June 11 2002 by Harry
    Lewis
    #### DSN-Media-Features.pdf has been removed from this note on June 11
    2002 by Harry Lewis