IFX Mail Archive: IFX> RE: PDF question

IFX> RE: PDF question

From: Rick Seeler (rseeler@adobe.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 12:12:05 EDT

    No, the trailer dictionary is not necessary for the interpretation of the
    PDF for this PDFax format. The trailer is only for Acrobat et. al. to read
    the file. The PDF reference's notion of reading from the end doesn't apply
    to this new format. And, yes, as I've laid it out it will work.

    The process would be something like ...
    1) Cache all objects found until the first 'page' object it located.
    2) Print the page.
    3) Dump the cache.
    4) Repeat for the next page.

    I'm still considering whether it makes sense to add a marking tag "/PDFax"
    to all objects that are necessary to render the page as a FAX, that way
    extraneous objects can be bypassed when scanning for the necessary objects
    to cache... but I want to consider other options first.

    Hope this clears things up.
    -Rick